As many of you may already have gathered I love working in the round on a large scale. My current project is no exception, although the ring size is 20cm smaller than some of my very large pieces. My challenge is how to interpret Spring based on a tree shape using all three of the Dorset Button designs worked on a ring.
To start with, I used linen thread for the outline of the tree and to work the trunk and branches. The linen thread is from Airedale Yarns who has the most wonderful selection of colours. Most of the linen is a 4ply weight and for this project I worked with four strands. I had great fun measuring out four times 12metres then wrapping it around a makeshift shuttle before working the button. I had to do this four times!
When I look out of my studio window, the lovely primroses are a joy so they too will have to be incorporated into my work. I have decided to use what I call the ‘Cartwheel’ button as it looks so like a cartwheel for the flower.
For the leaves of the tree, I’m working Singleton buttons using a stretch mainly green multi-coloured lace fabric over cotton fabric. By using this method, I have managed to give my tree the spring look of when you can see the sky through the leaves which are not quite open.
However, where to put the Blandford button which I call a Crosswheel as the thread is wound across the ring many times? I’m thinking that I may use them as blossom on my tree.
By the way, I have decided to give the finished work a humorous twist as the finished piece is going to be called “Hiding not lost” and you may be able to see the reason for the title in one of the images. The finished work will be on display in my Studio as part of the Wylye Valley Art Trail.
At the beginning of January I was keen to get going on a new project that I had been mulling over for a number of weeks. When starting on any project I always take my time with deciding on colours and textures. So when the decision on which yarns and fabrics had been finalised and the construction details calculated I was eager to start.
All was going so well, then disaster. I fell and strained my right wrist. As I’m right handed my project was placed on one side until the pain subsided and my hand regained its strength!
Whilst resting my right hand, and to be deterred, I tried using my left hand. Here are the results….
They are all worked on a 10cm ring using Wilton Carpet Factory yarn which I brought from their factory shop in the 1980s. I'm thinking of turning them into coaster.
I expect many of you know what it’s like to work in a confined space where all your materials, threads or whatever your hobby may be are all in boxes which are piled high one on top of the other. And each time you want something it’s like moving house with the amount of boxes that have to be moved before finding the right one, which usually was at the bottom of the pile.
This was me when I decided to build my own studio. I made a list of all the things I wanted from my studio including the masses of shelf space, enough wall space to hang my large works, lots of work table space, good lighting, a coffee machine and toilet to name a few.
My husband, Patrick, and I earmarked a piece of land that fell between our house and garage for this new timber structured building. Building work started in June and I moved in earlier this month and friends joined us to celebrate this auspicious occasion.
Here are a few photos of the building work from its concept to my moving in.
Thank you to Dorset Buttoner, Sharon, for sending me the link to this knitting pattern on Raverly for these lovely mits. The pattern is free until the end of today, 31 October, so if you are a knitter why not download the pattern and send me a photo of your own lovely mittens for my eNewsletter. To get your copy all you have to do is click on the image - you may have to register with Raverly which is free.